Sunday 13 July 2008

I want to give my mother away

She managed to insult Mal by alluding to the fact that he had put on weight. One thing you must understand about my mother is that she equates her self-worth in how much or how little she weighs. She then thinks this is acceptable to extend to other people.

My sister has PCOS. As a side effect of this, she finds it difficult to lose weight. You can imagine how popular our mother's comments are with her. My mother made comments about me when I was trying on the sample in the shop of the wedding dress I had chosen: "That one gives you back fat". It was the sample and two sizes too small for me... She made a similar comment (to the one that offended Mal) to my brother. Who had the same reaction as Mal. And still she pressed ahead in offending Mal. I don't think she has tried offending my other brother as she knows he'd tell her where to stick it.

Honestly, the woman is a liability. I am beyond furious with her.

We went to a lovely barbecue-cum-banquet with some of Mal's colleagues last night - we had to schlep to the middle of nowhere, and then find the Middle of Nowhere's village green. Upon which there was a house that was beautiful, and built circa 1500 with nooks and crannies and timbers and odd angles and things to discover. The garden was exactly the same, with undiscovered bits and woodland and paths that led between them, and a lake with some baby moorhens, and a wooden playhouse and an orchard. It was just delightful, along with the company. And the mountains of food.

I am now surrounded by dogs (Buddy's sister has come to stay) and Mal, and laptops, and Top Gear. Oh happy evening.

No comments: