Thursday 17 July 2008

Swimming with the Fishes

In keeping with my new drama queen status, I nearly fainted at work yesterday. I decided this was once too many times. So called NHS direct. I could hardly speak to the operator as my head was swimming so much.

She advised me to see a GP asap. So I did. And he signed me off work for a week with postural hypotension. i.e. my blood pressure is pretty low, and my poor head isn't getting the oxygen it needs when it needs it, so nearly blacks out as a consequence. It's caused by moving too quickly, so my body doesn't get the chance to acclimatise and make the necessary adjustments fast enough to catch up with standing up, or going from lying to sitting, or sitting to lying.

Mal Jr is fine though. Perfectly happy, bumbling round in there, jabbing me in the groin, thumping me in the ribs... I think he might be an octopus as I think I get kicks in about 5 directions at once sometimes.

Buddy has relished the opportunity to spend an awful lot of time curled up on me, next to me, sometimes under me... rather than spend the day alone. We have just watched A Fish Called Wanda. It must be the hundredth time I have seen that film, but it doesn't get old. It's one of Kevin Kline's best roles. Especially when he eats the fish. Poor Wanda the angelfish!

I've left the TV on the same movie channel and Buddy and I are now watching Groundhog Day. Another favourite of mine, especially the different treatments of Ned Reierson each time Phil Connors meets him. If the next film is pants, I'll probably start on the DVDs. Lord knows we have enough of them sitting in the dining room. Along with the dishwasher we need installing before Mal Jr gets here. That's a small part of the list really, there is still so much to do!

No comments: