Thursday 10 July 2008

Ignorance and rudeness

I wanted to combust in a puff of purple smoke and never return today. Just vapourise and be at one with the air. To disappear. I felt humiliated, angry, hurt and offended.

Brief synopsis: I work in a shop. Selling clothes. I have a baby-related back problem. This means I cannot stand for 8 hours a day like I used to. Rather than take a massive amount of time off sick (unpaid), I have been thrown the lifeline of work hiring me a wheelchair for a while to help me out. It's great. I can sit down on the job. I can do everything I used to.

People are often less rude to me when I try and engage them in conversation when I am sat in my chair than they would be if I were stood up next to them. I don't know what difference it makes that I have wheels now, but there is a difference. I think it's great. Until today.

I was dealing with someone on the phone from head office - I was at the till point, taking one for the team and letting Head Office chew my ear off about a transaction someone on the team hadn't put through correctly, and have someone remotely log on to the till and correct it.

Another member of staff was waiting by the till to use the phone on behalf of a lady customer. After I got off the phone I wheeled myself to the back of the store and went out to back of house. I was a few minutes then came back.

The team were all stood there, being silent and sort of "trying to act normal when there was an elephant in the room". I asked them what was up, and they told me that the woman had asked in shock and horror "how can she possibly work in a wheelchair?" She then muttered something to one of the girls that she shouldn't bother making the phonecall as it didn't matter. There was another few muttered sentences about it being "despicable" and "disgraceful" as she left the store in a hurry.

I now feel like a freakshow on wheels. There was no way she meant it in a pitying tone ("poor girl, forced to work...") according to the 4 people who overheard her remarks. It sounded to all of them that it was more like "I think it's disgusting that your company hires disabled people". I feel hurt, angry, and upset. With a fair dose of humiliation.

I really feel like I don't want to go to work tomorrow. 2 months of no numpties and I've been fine. One person goes and ruins it all.

16 to go...

No comments: